Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Why Libertarian Debate is Hard

The typical political debate for me goes like this.

I say we don't need the government. That it's immoral. That it's impractical. That it's ineffective. That it's wasteful. That it's destructive. That it requires a thousand logical contradictions to make sense.

From that point on, it is my job to defend anarchy from every concievable hypothetical failure imaginable, including some which don't apply, some which couldn't apply, some which only apply to statism, some which are absolutely stupid, some which contradict themselves, and then the same ones over again just for good measure.

It's always the same thing. I'm thinking I need to reconsider my methods.

When I am on the defensive, I cannot gain ground. When I go to the offensive, people ignore me until I am back on the defensive. This is not going to work.

On one forum I've been visiting I am defending anarchy in 8 different threads. I am on the offensive in one thread, which I created, had to bump 4 times to even get a single response, and then the only response was "This thread should be locked."

I brought up every arguement in support of anarcho-capitalism I could think of, and rebutted all the objections I could think of. And what's the response? I'm ignored, save someone wanting to permanantly ensure that I could only be ignored.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

It seems the statists automatically assume that they have a moral and pragmatic high ground. They can't afford to fight on a level playing field. I might be just playing their stupid little game by acting as if I'm on the low ground. Next new place I'm going, I'm going to try ignoring their claims that it will eventually fall back into government, in favor of attacking the very concept of a government in the first place as being wrong.

When people are open-minded to liberty, explaining to to them is easy. They eat it up and ask for more.

When people are not, they won't tolerate you explaining it to them. Your job as the anarchist is not to attack government, but to give them a strawman to beat up so they can feel good about themselves. Fighting back is not playing by their stupid rules.

All I ask for in debate is an open mind and a level playing field. Why is it so hard to find them?

The government and the popular media has people equating anarchism with chaos. The government has turned 99.9% of the population into dependants who could not imagine themselves surviving without government. Anyone who attacks the government provision of anything is fighting an uphill battle.

But I like challenges. I like being forced to think. So I'm going to keep fighting uphill battles until I'm dead or I'm at the top of the hill.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ratter said...

LISTEN TO THIS MAN. I've run into the same problems before. It's simply maddening.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Skeptical said...

What forum is this, by the way?

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Shade said...

I love your mentality. "I'm going to keep fighting uphill battles until I'm dead or I'm at the top of the hill." is probably the best quote I've heard in a long time.

12:48 AM  
Blogger jomama said...

Keep kicking the statist religion.

That's what it is, a religion, and
like all religions it lives on faith.

You already know the only ones you'll
convert don't live on that faith.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Bill St. Clair said...

You've nailed it, and jomama said why. Most people are so thoroughly indoctrinated in the religion of government, that they can't even see that taxation is theft, that arrest is kidnapping, and that war is murder. Seeing that reality is a massive threat to their entire worldview, and most can't bear the cognitive dissonance, so they refuse to hear it.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Lord Metroid said...

Just as books broke the chackles of religous persecution of unlike minded philosophers so will internet break the chackles of government hold on moral philosopher.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home